R E S U M E
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, New York Degree expected May 2020
Master of Science with focus on filmmaking and photography
Part of Visual Craft track that specializes in developing professional skills in cinematic storytelling through writing, photography and film. Wrote and shot stories on labor and minimum wage in New York City. Photographed events in New York City, including 2019 NYC Climate Strike. Conducting 6-month Masters Project on women filmmakers through fusion of writing and photography.
University of South Florida, Tampa, FL May 2019
Bachelor of Journalism, News-Editorial Journalism
Member of Honors College, where conducted a year-long Honors Thesis on the future of visual journalism in media.
Selected projects: “Migrant” – A short documentary about a family’s journey across the border, their struggles as a migrant-working family and a couple’s son’s inspiration to become a doctor to provide accessible health care to migrant workers.
Multimedia Editor, The USF Oracle, Tampa, FL July 2017-November 2018
Dedicated storyteller with a passion for capturing stories through photography, writing and videography. Continuously strive to tell stories that convey the power of human connection and inspiration for others. Over 90 Oracle bylines for photography, writing or videography. Responsible for taking photos and video at speaking engagements, sporting events and other events involving the University for stories online and in print. Managed Multimedia Team of other photographers and videographers. Managed social media sites and to stories accessible on different platforms.
Photojournalism Honors Thesis Research, USF Honors College, Tampa, FL January 2018-January 2019
Year-long study researching “The power of storytelling through the fusion of photography and writing in newspapers.” Overseeing the research is the Director and Senior Instructor of the Zimmerman College of Advertising and Mass Communication, Wayne Garcia.
Photographer, Chaveli LLC, Tampa, FL August 2015-Present
Business owner and freelance photographer responsible for coordinating photo sessions, preparing camera equipment, maintaining and building client relationships, organizing marketing plans, maintaining social media and website, writing content and editing images on Photoshop, Lightroom and Capture One. Photograph weddings, engagements, self-portraits, family portraits, fashion companies, blogs, businesses, and events.
SKILLS AND AWARDS
- Proficient in still photography, video production, with editing experience in Adobe Creative Suite
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Florida Society of News Editors 2019 Contest – Third Place in Commentary (Student) for “I remain a strong Catholic after the news of sexual abuse” – USF Oracle
- Florida Society of News Editors 2018 Contest – First Place in Multimedia (Student) for “USF Adjunct Professors March for Equal Treatment” – USF Oracle
- Florida Society of News Editors 2018 Contest – Second Place in News Photography (Student) for “USF Campus Fills with Excitement While Viewing Solar Eclipse” – USF Oracle
- Tampa Bay Times Endowed Scholarship – Fall 2018